Tuesday 30 October 2018

History Repeating...


History repeating…

One Friday night back in the 90’s, my work friends and I headed out for the obligatory drink after work at our local haunt.

Working in the city was great. We caught the train from the outer suburbs – a group from the East and another group from the West and we stepped out together – no designated driver and everywhere within walking distance.  

One drink, led to two, which led to another bar, for another one or two!

I don’t remember where we ended up, or exactly where it was in the C.B.D. (maybe due to the one or two I consumed!) but I do remember walking down a flight of stairs into a dark, smoke filled room and hearing an acoustic guitar and a young man singing. His voice was amazing.

It was just the one guy on the makeshift stage. He wore denim on denim (a faux pas these days!) and his long hair kept falling over his face while he was intent on his guitar. He sat on a stool in the smoky haze and belted out lyrics to songs we knew from the radio; some heartfelt, some sad, some just easy to sing to. It was like our own intimate concert.
 

Fast forward twenty five years or so.

The room wasn’t smoke filled this time, and there was stage lighting, a drummer, bass guitarist and keyboard player. But it was the same guy belting out tunes. His hair (or what may be left) was hidden under a fedora hat. His voice and the songs exactly the same as all those years ago.

We sat in comfortable chairs in the darkened theatre and sang along, feeling glad that history was repeating – until he sang ‘Silent Witnesses’. This twenty something year old song refers to the refugee crises, which has only escalated over all this time. I’m not ashamed to say I cried as I sang.

It is time to stop history from repeating itself… I might not have a good singing voice like Jack Jones from Southern Sons but I want to use it anyway...  
Jo
 
Southern Sons: Silent Witnesses YouTube clip:

No comments:

Post a Comment