Tuesday 6 August 2013

Colour: my world

The setting was picturesque.  I was in a beach side café overlooking the choppy bay with a storm rolling in.  I was lounging in the last rays of sun before the rain, admiring the intensity of the colours of this setting:  greens, aqua, grey, all shades of blue, nearly black and the mustard yellow of the sand.  I was thinking what a beautiful place St Kilda is.

The water had been the attraction – its lulling effect was exactly what I needed after a big weekend.  I tried to keep my breathing in rhythm with the coming and going of the waves - but was easily distracted by the reggae beat entertaining the Sunday relaxers.

As the sun was swallowed up, the sky got darker and the bay seemed to get greener.  My focus shifted. People going by were strolling, jogging, skating, walking dogs, playing chasey with toddlers and I noticed myself looking at them, really seeing them; they became the attraction rather than the white caps and their magnetic pull.

Their smiles, easy conversation, friendly acknowledgments and the pure brightness of them felt contagious.  The backdrop faded in comparison to their vibrancy.  The colours of rosy cheeks, woolly scarves, hats, dog leads and wheels on the skates, even the laughter and cheekiness seemed to emanate a colour.

And I realised, it isn’t only St Kilda that is beautiful – our whole world is.  We are truly blessed to be able to experience all the different colours of life.

What’s your favourite colour?

~ Jo
 

1 comment:

  1. That was lovely to read Jo, felt like I was there with you. Also love the photo.

    ReplyDelete