Sunday 30 June 2013

The promise of a new day.


I admit it, I was on ‘auto-pilot’.

The house could have been burning down around me and I wouldn’t have noticed.

My focus was:

1.One more early morning start,

2.One more set of lunches to make,

3.One more daytime routine to get through,

4.One more Mum’s taxi service after school,

then…

HOLIDAYS – you know the feeling, right?

I was mentally checking off the first 2 items on the list and dragging the non-co-operative kids into the car (gearing up for item 3) when I opened the door and saw the sun rising.

I don’t mean that’s the time of day it was, or it was happening all around me – although both are true – I mean I actually watched and paid attention to the changing wonder of the darkness to light.

The gradual light unveiled the night’s many secrets.  Dew drops on flowers, random pockets of fog, pink fairy floss clouds, a snail trail on my driveway, paw prints on the car bonnet and condensation from car exhausts.  All such simple things yet, when I thought about them, they are amazing.  And all of this was going on while I was busy ticking off my list – oblivious to it all.

The promise of this new day both inspired and invigorated me and if you haven’t experienced this time of day (yes, it will be early and, yes, it will be cold and, yes, you will still have much to do) treat yourself to this fantastic show – its magical.

~Jo
 


No comments:

Post a Comment