Monday 1 October 2018


OTHER HOLY POETS HAVE NO TROUBLE CALLING ON THE BELOVED.

 

Other holy poets have no trouble calling on the Beloved; I am a bit shy to do that although I do love and enjoy His presence.

 

Instead I look at this huge old gumtree outside and wonder at its hospitality.

There must be a dozen bird varieties who feel at home there.

Into the hollow in its side I see the tail end of a little green parrot disappear and later, a perfect little red head coming out.

 

Is God’s hospitality like that?

 

The kookaburra stops by and peeps in. He’d like to have the baby chicks for dinner.

And the beautiful red and blue rosella would like that too.

Beneath the branches the magpie has stopped yodelling and pulls up baby worms from the short grass

 

Is God’s hospitality like that too?

 

It seems even God can’t change the nature of things - or the hearts of men unless they are willing.

 

I did a workshop once with a woman who suffered ongoing pain with a debilitating illness. She was concerned about her son’s predicament. Before we left she told me this: I’ve put him in God’s hands now and I will trust whatever happens

 

I imagine God would like that.

I think that woman is truly God’s beloved.

 

And so is her son.
 
Columba



No comments:

Post a Comment