Monday 23 May 2016

On Transformation


On Transformation
Recently a friend of mine died. Her life was marked by two things: much suffering over many years – and the unique love she generated to everyone who knew her. She heard a call to share in Christ’s suffering to liberate us; to free us from what we believe separates us from God. Like St Paul she used her pain to make complete the untold suffering of Christ (Colossians, 24,25). I don’t think I ever met a happier person.

This makes me think again about the problem of pain: Christ is like the Mother of the World carrying the world’s pain in her Cosmic, Sacred Heart; each of us is a part of that Cosmic Heart and shares in its suffering. The challenge is to welcome the pain – to suffer it with consciousness - and to transform it into joy. This is not easy - but in and with Christ - it is possible.
My friend made pain more meaningful for me. She understood that because the Man-God united himself to each of us, we could become partners in his suffering, death and resurrection, and in a way known only to God, to help Christ to transform the world.

I miss my friend. But that unity with her in Christ’s Heart is still strong. May we all know the healing and peace of the Cosmic Heart of Christ.

- Columba

No comments:

Post a Comment