Thursday 5 December 2013

A Christmas thought

As Christmas approaches I have begun to think about all the people that will be spending Christmas by themselves and of the people who will be struggling to buy their children presents or put enough food on the table; and think.....But there for the Grace of God go I.......

I recently listened to Richard Rohr & Shane Claiborne's 'When action meets contemplation' and I was really moved by Shane talking about how we ''insulate'' ourselves from the pain and suffering that is going on around us. We get so wrapped up in our own little world that, unless it is directly in front of us, we rarely see the needs of others. We watch the news and turn away if things are to insulting or horrific. We walk past the beggar on the street and grumble to ourselves ''get a job'' or worse still, not even notice him. We numb our minds and hearts by filling our days & nights with meaningless, trivial nonsense such as shopping for more things we don't need or will never use, or watching garbage on the television that teaches us nothing.

I heard on The Project the other night that Australia is the top country on the 2012 World Giving Index and that makes me feel so proud, as I am one of the many that make that possible. Of all the things our country could be number one in, this is one to be extremely proud of. While not taking anything away from that great achievement I wonder how many Australians give of themselves on a regular basis. Sometimes I ask myself 'if I give economically does that mean I don't have to give physically, emotionally or spiritually? Of course not. Giving of yourself in any and every way possible is how we can best 'LIVE' the Gospel as we are all ''called to be disciples.''

How will you 'LIVE' the Gospel this Christmas?






''He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.'' - Roy L Smith
Source - http://www.searchquotes.com/search/Christmas_Blessing/4/ 



No comments:

Post a Comment